Friday, March 15, 2013

Strictly Speaking 1: Reading

"I can't read this!"
"Why not?"
"It's all marked up and..."
"You're not very good at your job, are you?"
"...scarred! And yes, I am."
"No you're not. Not if you can't see past a few scars."
"A few? I can't even see the lines!"
"You suck at your job."
"Give me your hand back."
"Why?"
"Let. Me. Try."
"Okay."
"..."
"What do you see?"
"You've been burned and had a lot of pain."
"No shit, shyster. My hands and arms are covered in scars. You're a genius."
"I didn't mean physically! I meant, emotionally."
"You can say that to just about anyone over the age of 12 and it's true."
"Don't go, seriously. Let me see your hand again."
"Fine."
"You have a daemon inside you."
"What?"
"Maybe that's the wrong word? A pet? No...  it's a daemon. Pet is like it's name."
"I have a daemon named Pet inside me?"
"Not quite... Ah! Pete."
"I have a daemon named PETE inside me? Is that Pete short for Peter? I have an ex named Peter..."
"Oh! No. I have it wrong. It's name is Peat, P-E-A-T, like the moss."
"That's not a daemon... that was what I ate for lunch. Not on purpose, mind you... long story."
"Oh. I still think it's a daemon."
"Well either way, it proves you're not a complete fraud. I'll come on for an appointment at two tomorrow."
"I'll have to check my ledger and see if I have that open."
"I already did. You do."
"But the book is in the other room."
 "Yes, I know."
 


1 comment:

  1. My favorite line is ""No shit, shyster."

    <3

    ReplyDelete