Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hyena

I have often been told that I have a hyena-like laugh. When I was young, it was meant to be a way of shaming me. But I took pride in my laugh and began researching my laughing kin. I found that hyenas are often misunderstood... something I could relate to. I am fascinated by the mythology around them... I am enthralled with their societal structures. I have yet to write a piece about hyenas that I'm happy with, but here's a poem-ish thing that I don't hate.  







Bringer of light
Challenger of rule
You laugh at their slender lives

They use your droppings
And call you scavenger
The cannibal kaftar

You lay in your eternal cave
Feline Canine Viverrid
You break classification
Hiding from the light
Exposing all with a laugh






*drawing by Rebecca Huston

No comments:

Post a Comment