Thursday, March 14, 2013

Housemates 1: Notes & Emotions



I have never lived alone and have had many housemates. Some of them were/are good to live with. Some of them I'd rather be stabbed in the eye with a hot poker than EVER even be neighbors with. These are tidbits about some of the issues that have come up when living with housemates.



Note written during an Emotional Explosion...
I am a very emotional person. As a child, the world could go from breath taking beauty to the biggest pile of poo and back again, in a matter of moments. This is still true, but I work hard to not allow these Emotional Explosions (as I call them) to affect my decision making process. This is why I like to communicate with housemates through notes.  Now some people may see this as being passive aggressive. This may be true... but isn't that better than being aggressive-aggressive?

When I take a moment to reflect and think about the things I'm so angry about, I realize there's a better way to deal with things than just going right up to the person I'm mad at and yelling in their face. Diplomacy is great! If I see the housemate(s), then I will talk to them and explain the situation. I always try speaking to someone before I write a note to them. Unfortunately, we don't always have the same schedules and if I need to talk to more than one person, other than calling a house meeting (and I LOATHE those), there's little chance I'll catch them at the same time. So I try to make my notes positive.

Good Coffee Note
"jiggling handles is fun!"
What do you think about notes? Have you had experience with a housemate who leaves notes? Have you been the housemate leaving the notes? Tell us about it in the comments! Or, if you'd like to just tell me, email me at:  ninyxnatterings@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment