Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1st...

April first means something different for my family than it does for the rest of the world. Eighteen years ago today my older sister was in a white water rafting accident. She came close to dying, was in a coma for close to a month and now lives with a brain injury. My parents are her full time caretakers. When they lived closer, my other sisters and I would sometimes help. Now only my youngest sister lives nearby. She is mostly functional, but her short term memory doesn't work so well while her long term memory is difficult for her to access. 


I remember the wind
The smell of chimney fire
As I dug for my keys
The door opened
"There's been an accident"
The crack in my dad's voice
Said no foolery of April
Would ever be fun again


No comments:

Post a Comment